HOLDEN is a tragicomic piece, plumbing a darker dimension of J.D. Salinger’s famous novel, The Catcher in the Rye. A few obsessive super-fans have taken up residence in Salinger’s private writing bunker. Unbeknownst to the reclusive author himself, their mission to get Salinger to publish once more spirals into a larger excavation of violence in America and the male imagination.
HOLDEN premiered at the Ice Factory Festival in NYC in August, 2015
- Conceived, Written, and Directed by Anisa George
- Creator-Performers: Jaime Maseda, Matteo Scammell, Scott Sheppard, Bill George, and Adele Goldader
- Additional Contributing Creators: Mark McCloughan & Emilie Krause
- Scenic Design: Nick Benacerraf
- Sound Design: Alex Bechtel
- Lighting Design: Seth Reiser
- Costume Design: Rebecca Kanach
- Props Design: Cem Ozdeniz
- Dramaturge: Madeline Charne
Compelling ... the entire production holds you in a disturbing grip.
Provocative ... a Sartre-esque purgatory.
Outstanding cast and direction ... we should all take heed of the timely messages ... masterfully delivered by George & Co.
Holden renders articulate what is too often wasted in mute violence.
A story of historical reckoning, a violent punch ... Stunning.
fascinating ... testosterone-fueled ... a pressure cooker of unresolved frustration ready to explode without warning.